Auto Theft Cases Are Rising in Texas
According to recent reports, one vehicle is stolen in Dallas every 54 minutes. The issue is causing growing concerns amongst vehicle owners in the city, as police try to deal with this recent string of thefts. Unfortunately, it appears that auto thefts are on the rise and growing rapidly. Within the past year, the number of vehicle thefts has risen by 18 percent. Many investigators are saying it’s because keys are being left inside vehicles more often. It can happen to any of us.
Preventing Auto Theft in Texas
Most of us don’t think about auto theft until it’s too late. By then, you’re already filing a police report for a stolen vehicle. The fact of the matter is, preventing car theft only requires a little foresight. If you prepare now, with these tips, you can greatly reduce your risk of an auto theft.
1. Keep track of your keys at all times – do not leave them in the vehicle for any reason.
2. Secure your vehicle when you park, even at home, and close/lock all windows.
3. Park in a well-lit area, close to a building entrance or near parking lot cameras.
4. Do not leave any valuables in your vehicle in plain sight.
5. Use an anti-theft device, which can even reduce your auto insurance premium, to safeguard your car.
Fix Your Locks
The best tip we can offer vehicle owners is this: if you’re having trouble with your car locks, bring them to an experienced mechanic immediately. Do not put off having your vehicle locks maintained or repaired by an expert. If even a single lock is broken on a vehicle, it allows an easy entry point into the car for a burglar.